Thursday, January 28, 2010

9 years of grudges and back pain healed by Jesus

Young Jae Ahn :: junior :: landscape architecture

There was someone who I had a grudge against for a long time. September 28, 2000, my life had completely changed because of two people. I crossed the road without caution and a driver passed our school bus as I was crossing the road and he hit me. My head hit the car’s windshield and my hair got jammed in the cracks of the window and my blood covered the windshield. My mom said it was the most horrible scene she had ever witnessed. That day was a day before midterm exams so the first thing I said after I hit the car was, “Oh… no. I have screwed up my midterms.” Honestly, after 30 seconds, it didn’t hurt at all so I thought I was ok, but I was not ok. Doing poorly on my midterms was nothing compared with what tortured me for 9 years. Thankfully, only my back bone was broken because I fell down on the lawn not asphalt road.


When I was in the hospital, doctors and nurses immobilized me and I had to use a wheelchair. I could walk but I was not allowed to walk for three months. In that time, I didn’t even feel the pain so I was always complaining. I began to think of what it would be like if he had not hit me. I could hang out with my friends and go to school and so on. I hated him.


After coming back home my pain started. If my back bone pinched once, I had to call my brother or my parents. Even in school, I needed to someone next to me at all times to help me stand or sit even though I did not use a wheelchair. However, I began to heal, little by little, so the pinching in my back was less frequent. On the other hand, I could not sleep without painkillers at least twice a week. It was nearly impossible to sit or stand without the painkillers. Two or three times a year, the left side of my body was paralyzed after dreaming of that accident. I still remember his face. He was crying, and scared. 9 years ago, I didn’t understand what he felt through this accident; I just cared about myself because I was in so much pain. I am not certain, but he may dream about this accident too.


I met three doctors and went through physical rehabilitation, (swimming treatment, injection treatment and massage,) and several medications. The only reason that I did not have surgery was there is no guarantee that it would heal my back. My only wish was to heal my back. I felt that if someone healed my back, I could do anything. All three doctors said there would be no perfect cure because one of the disks between my back bones was pressing nerves so that I would have this pain for the rest of my life.


However, when I came to the United States from Korea, I fell in love with Jesus. This was unexpected because I used to believe that religious people were crazy. After my conversion to Christianity, my back immediately stopped hurting. For the first month, I thought it was weird and that I would probably still need painkillers to fall asleep, but I did not. As time went by, it became clear. I realized that Jesus cured my back after I had begun praying to Him. It has been 6 months without pain. Simply sitting down, watching movies, or writing essays are miracles to me. I wish I could tell the man that hit me that he did not ruin my life, he saved it. He allowed me to see Jesus and Jesus’ power. I still remember that man’s face and I used to hate him, but I do not hate him anymore. I hope he is free from the pain that accident may have caused him, just as I am.


Sometimes, things that seem bad but they are not actually bad. My life has completely changed because of that accident. That accident was not horrible car accident. It was perfect miracle.

John 9:2-3  And His disciples asked Him, saying, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?”

Jesus answered, “Neither this man nor his parents sinned, but that the works of God should be revealed in Him."

No comments:

Post a Comment